Computer forensics or digital forensics is a term in computer science to acquire authorized evidence found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what happened to the digital media reminiscent of emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In many case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime might happened and how we are able to protect ourselves in opposition to it next time.
Some reasons why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To collect evidences in order that it may be used in courtroom to unravel legal cases. 2. To analyze our network strength, and to fill the security hole with patches and fixes. 3. To recuperate deleted information or any files within the occasion of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, crucial things that need to be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique evidence should not be altered in in any case, and to do conduct the method, forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the unique storage medium and precise copy of the original media. The distinction between a bit-stream image and normal copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack space within the storage. You'll not find any slack house data on a replica media.
2. All forensic processes should follow the legal legal guidelines in corresponding nation where the crimes happened. Each country has different regulation suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very severely, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be performed after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally wanting on the timeline of how the crimes occurred in timely manner. With that, we are able to produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In a giant firm, it's prompt to create a Digital Forensic Group or First Responder Team, so that the corporate could still protect the proof till the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response rules are: 1. In no way ought to anyone, aside from Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to recuperate data from any computer system or device that holds digital information. 2. Any attempt to retrieve the data by particular person mentioned in number 1, needs to be avoided because it could compromise the integrity of the evidence, by which grew to become inadmissible in authorized court.
Primarily based on that rules, it has already explained the essential roles of getting a First Responder Group in a company. The unqualified individual can solely secure the perimeter so that no one can contact the crime scene until Forensic Analyst has come (This can be accomplished by taking photograph of the crime scene. They will also make notes in regards to the scene and who were current at that time.
Steps should be taken when a digital crimes occurred in an expert approach: 1. Safe the crime scene till the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from native authorities or company's management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take a picture of the crime scene in case of if there isn't a any photographs has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, do not turned off the computer. As a substitute, used a forensic tools resembling Helix to get some data that may only be found when the computer is still powered on, corresponding to information on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it is particular perform as not to write something back to the system so the integrity stay intake.
5. Once all live proof is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All the evidences should be documented, by which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody keep data on the evidence, corresponding to: who has the evidence for the last time.
7. Securing the evidence have to be accompanied by legal officer such as police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, b.c.
Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as unique evidence should not be used. Usually, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. After all Chain of Custody nonetheless used on this scenario to maintain information of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that unique proof and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will lead to totally different hash, which makes the evidences discovered turn out to be inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst starts to seek out proof within the bit-stream image by fastidiously looking on the corresponding location relies on what kind of crime has happened. For instance: Momentary Internet Files, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.